Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
LexisNexis Law School Customer Support
When in the Lexis+ research system, click on MORE in the upper left, and select LIVE CHAT SUPPORT.
Our School's Lexis Representative:
Law Library Lexis Contact:
Terms and connectors and natural language on Lexis+
- BOTH the big search box AND Search within Results can process natural language and terms and connectors.
- If you use and, or, /p, /s, /n your search will be converted to terms and connectors. If you have some words in the search that do not have connectors, Lexis+ interprets this as a phrase (interprets it as a blank space between the words. ) Example: dna sample arrested and "serious crime" should be: dna and sample and arrest! and "serious crime" (or even better: dna and (collect! or sample or profile) and (arrest! or accus! or custody or "facing charges:) and "serious crime"
- If you use quotation marks or ! it will NOT convert the search to terms and connectors. It will still be run as a natural language search. Example: "undue influence" will
Tutorials, Training and Guides
Videos and Tutorials
Tutorials with questions.
Think Like A Lawyer Game
Be fully prepared for exams with the new case law game (it's free!) designed to help you spot and analyze issues - a crucial part of every law exam. 1Ls: prepare for exams by testing your knowledge of case law content based on areas of law you're learning about right now. 2Ls and 3Ls: prepare for exams - or even the bar - with 5 levels of questions that increase in difficulty.
Subjects: torts, contracts, criminal law, civil procedure, property law, constitutional law.
When in Lexis, click on HELP in the upper right for help based upon the screen in Lexis you are viewing.
Permitted Uses of Lexis
Lexis Policy on Use of Law School Educational Ids
Students may use their LexisNexis Law School Educational ID only for academic purposes. Academic purposes include:
* class preparation and assignments
* research associated with moot court or law review/law journal
* service as a research assistant to a professor (either paid or unpaid)
* an unpaid internship, externship or clinic for school credit
Academic purposes do not include research conducted for a law firm, corporation or other entity that is paying the student to conduct said research or that is passing along the costs of said research to a third party. These are deemed commercial purposes. See below for special summer exception or access after graduation.
Summer Access to Lexis
See the Akron Law announcements blog for information on summer access to Lexis. For the past several years, Lexis permits students to use the database for non-educational use, such as working at a law firm, during the summer only. No additional steps are needed to obtain summer access.
Graduates Access to Lexis-
Students can use their Lexis passwords for 6 months after graduation. For 2020 graduates access is extended until February 28, 2021
ASPIRE to Support a Non-Profit This Summer or After Graduation
Your legal research support can make a difference to an organization doing good this summer. Apply for an ASPIRE ID for access to Lexis as long as your qualifying non-profit employment - 501(c)(3).
Why it is important to Shepardize
Lexis and Westlaw Edge Order of Operations
Note that Westlaw Edge uses BUT NOT or % for not.
You can always use parenthesis, (), to change the order of processing.